Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Finished Monopoly Mixtape Quilt

I finished this Monopoly Mixtape quilt a couple days ago. I used Elizabeth Hartman's Mixtape Quilts II pattern (for purchase here). I initially planned on making the Favorite Songs layout for a 47x47 quilt. Since I decided to make the quilt at 9 at night, I opted to leave out the sashing and just sew the 6-inch blocks into rows and columns. That way, I had a finished quilt top by the time I went to bed. Omitting the sashing left me with a 36x36 quilt.

Finished Monopoly Mixtape Quilt

As this is for a new little baby-to-be, I wanted to try quilting with a flannel backing to make it softer. I thought it would be really shifty, but it was surprisingly the same as with a cotton backing.

Monopoly Mixtape quilt back

I like how the quilting adds another type of texture to the flannel.

Quilting on flannel backing - detail

I still need to work on getting a consistent stitch length as I'm quilting. For some reason, I just want to move the quilt fast and I have a hard time slowing down.

To save time, I trimmed the backing to about an inch and a half and then turned the edge over and then over again to self-bind the quilt. I did this a few weeks ago on a quilt my brother-in-law asked me to bind for his wife for a surprise Christmas gift. The corners didn't turn out as well as I would have liked on that one and I wanted to see if I could figure out how to miter them properly. I think it worked well this time. It certainly helped that the flannel I used wasn't shifty.

Mitering self-binding flannel

I think the quilt came together nicely and I think my friend will like it. She's having a girl, and since it's her first, she's really excited for all things pink. I'm not a huge fan of "baby pink" so I thought I'd add a little brighter pink to her nursery.

The only unfortunate part of this quilt is that I finished it before making my practice dresden plate. I think that flower would have looked so cute sewn onto the back of the quilt.

5 comments:

Naturally Carol said...

That's a lovely colourful quilt and looks so soft for a baby!

Brynwood Needleworks said...

It's beautiful, Brooke. That will be one lucky baby to snuggle up in this soft, sweet quilt.
xoxo
Donna

Melanie said...

Love the idea of a flannel backing, so soft and cuddly for a little one! So pretty and girly, I'm sure your friend will love it!

Anonymous said...

I think the quilt is adorable and I love the colors. Such a cute pattern.

Andi said...

Turned out beautifully!! Love the flannel.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails