Disclaimer: I received the Accuquilt Go Baby Triangle in Square die as compensation for this post. However, all opinions are my own.
Several months ago I started on this quilt using the Triangle in Square die from Accuquilt. I had a bunch of pezzy prints in multiple colors so I paired them with matching solids and set to work cutting.
Right away I could tell Accuquilt had made improvements to its dies. The other dies I have are an older generation and a few threads usually have to be clipped with each cut job. This die cut amazingly well; I didn't have to clip a single thread--and I cut through at least four layers each time.
Another great thing about cutting fabric this way is that the side pieces end in flat sections at the top and side rather than points. This really helps when aligning the fabric to sew each piece together.
I was really inspired by Barbie's quilt. So, after assembling all my sets, I started testing layouts. This was my first one.
I really liked that layout, but as I started sewing the pieces together, I came up with this pyramid layout that I wanted to use instead.
I could have assembled the pieces more in a log cabin style, but since I had already pieced one of the sections, I had to add triangles to the ends of each row. To do that, I cut 5" charms.
After piecing the center square (which is comprised of a white triangle, black strip, and black and white print triangle), I pieced two sections of the pyramid, the other two sections of the pyramid, and then I pieced those two halves together. Here's the result.
The top at this point was more of a baby quilt size so I added a narrow border on both sides and a wider border on the ends.
I had intended to use this plush blanket for the backing, which is partly why I added the white border in the sizes that I did instead of making it bigger.
I quilted a large meandering stipple throughout the quilt and bound it in a multi-colored pezzy print.