Sunday, January 2, 2011

Celebration of Life Pillow

Six years ago on December 31, 2004 my sweet nephew, Caleb, passed away from medulloblastoma. He was 8 months old. Every year, the mister's brother and his wife have a Celebration of Life gathering on New Year's Eve. Caleb is always on my mind, but especially during the holidays. This year, I wanted to make a pillow for my sister-in-law just to let her know that we've been thinking about and praying for her and her family.

When I made the pillow for the Pillow Talk Swap, my sister-in-law mentioned that she loved the wonky star and the elephant I embroidered on the back. Her favorite colors are blue, purple, and green, so I used some Verna, Hope Valley, and Nicey Jane fabrics with those colors. I also used this pillow to practice my free motion quilting (my skills need lots of work). I used some contrasting vintage thread that my mom's friend gave me. It was on a teeny wooden spool and it was surprisingly smooth to quilt with.

aDSC_0359

I used a heavy-weight embroidery floss for the elephant and her baby. It almost feels like the crochet thread that you use to crochet around flannel baby blankets (whatever that's called - help me out someone).

aDSC_0361

I think I mentioned that my sister drew the mama and baby elephant for me. We're actually in the process of making a few sets of embroidery patterns to sell in our very own shop! I'll have more information as we get closer, but let me know if you're interested in some fun [modern] embroidery patterns!

10 comments:

Sara said...

Love the pillow and the free motion is fun--that's what is so great about free motioning---there doesn't have to be structure:) The elephants are sweet.

Diane said...

It's lovely Brooke and so thougtful! Such a sweet remembrance for a sweet boy.

The thread is called Cro-sheen cotton embroidery thread, I think. Not exactly sure on the spelling.

Emily said...

Such a sweet gift for your SIL. I'll say a prayer for them and you. My sweet niece Rosemarie has been fighting Neuroblastoma for three years (she's just 4yrs old). I don't let myself imagine how hard it must be to loose that battle. Such a beautiful pillow, thanks for sharing it!

Naturally Carol said...

Hi Brooke, I think you should write out that pattern for the pillow too...unless it is already from someone else's pattern...'cos this one has turned out just as lovely as the first!

Di~ said...

It's Perle Cotton, I love that stuff, it's awesome for hand quilting. I also love embroidery, yours are cute! You've done a great job on the pillow! so sweet.

felicity said...

That is a beautiful pillow, and how lovely are you to make it for your brother- and sister-in-law. We lost my nephew Benjamin (3½ years old) this past November, so this project really spoke to me.

sebbie said...

Your nephew must have been born more or less at the same time as my son. How heartbreaking that your family haven't been able to enjoy the months and years that we have. You are all in my thoughts.

Denise said...

What a thoughtful gift and beautiful tribute to Caleb. How very kind of you to make this in his memory. Caleb is also very much on my mind this time of year.

mommymae said...

your quilting is beautiful!

Kaelin said...

that elephant pillow is one of the most precious crafts i've seen in a while!!! too cute!

p.s. don't you just love how versatile those Nicey Jane stripes are?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails