Monday, January 10, 2011

Some [not so] interesting facts about me

Andi over at Jane of All Crafts tagged me the end of last week to list 15 facts about me. I haven't had time to work on this until today, but I'm finally getting around to it. We'll see how many I can come up with.

At our Sewing Saturday, Leigh mentioned that I don't share that much personal information on my blog so I thought this would be a good way for you to get to know me a little better.

  1. I am the youngest of six kids, with a span of 17 years between me and my oldest sister. My mom taught me to sew when I was 10. Her mom taught her when she was 10. Since my mom was a tad bit older when she had me, she had a lot of sewing years under her belt when she taught me. If only I had paid better attention back then...
  2. I started quilting in January 2010. I bought my first "designer" fabric New Year's weekend. Up until that point, I had no understanding of designer fabric and couldn't see how anyone in their right mind could spend $8.00 or more on a single yard of fabric. Oh, I was so naive.
  3. Most of my siblings sew. There are five of us girls and one boy. My brother sews just as well, if not better, than the rest of us.
  4. My mom has sewn for a few companies over the years, including a furniture company and a puppet company. She's pretty much a rock star. She sewed all of my high school dance dresses, her own wedding dress, the dresses the mothers wore at my wedding, and this beautiful blessing dress for my daughter. I don't sew clothes (except a skirt or two), but my mom can sew anything under the sun. She really is amazing!

    My sweet daughter when she was three months old.

  5. I have lived in Utah my entire life. And that's not a bad thing. I'm a real homebody and living within close proximity to my parents and in-laws is wonderful.
  6. Speaking of my in-laws, the mister and I both grew up in the same town, but our paths didn't cross until we were in 9th grade.
  7. We met playing soccer on a co-ed team through the city. His dad was our coach. We played all through high school on that same team.
  8. I was too afraid to try out for my high school soccer team, which is probably the biggest regret of my life. I think I would have made it as I had played on different comp teams with the girls on the team.
  9. The mister and I dated our sophomore year of high school and then were "just friends" our junior and senior years. After high school, he served a mission for our church for two years, came home, and asked me out again. Five months later we were engaged, and three months after that we were married. That's probably crazy to many of you, but we'd already known each other for six years.
  10. I've never traveled outside the US. I've been to several states, and have had my passport for five years, but I've never been out of the country. I so want to travel to Europe.
  11. I studied art history in college. My high school art history teacher really instilled in me a love of art and inspired me to study it in college. He had us write a list of things we must see before we die. I've only seen a couple of them. Someday...
  12. I also studied interior design in college. I wanted to be a designer until I took a business design class and decided that it was not for me. I got my English/Technical Writing degree instead.
  13. I love to sing. I took voice lessons when I was 14, but quit. I also used to play the clarinet and the piano. Oh, and I loved crocheting around baby blankets and making Swedish weave blankets. And playing soccer. I don't really do any of those things anymore. This brings me to #14.
  14. The mister and I consider ourselves "90% people." We start a lot of projects and get most of the way finished, but for some reason always find ourselves running out of steam before the project is completely done. Or, we get really into something, but only do it for a while. Quilting has helped me a lot with this because once I finish quilting a quilt, there's no way I'll leave it unbound. Hopefully my time as a 90% person is almost over. I just need to figure out a way to translate what I can do quilting into my regular life. I'm pretty sure I'll be a quilter the rest of my life.

I think I'll stop there because I like having even numbers of things. For those of you who stuck around that long, thanks. I hope you learned something new about me.

7 comments:

Andi said...

Thanks for doing this! It's always great learning about the girl (or guy) behind the blog. My husband and I also met playing on a coed (indoor) soccer team, although I was the only girl ;-) He was nice to me when all the other guys hated having a girl on their team. We were best friends from then on and started dating 2 years later after my Senior prom. We have been together ever since. I am so a 90% person!!! Thanks for putting a name to my condition ;-)

Leslie said...

i stuck it out and am so glad that i did...it was fun to read some fun facts about you

Denise said...

I would love to see the list of things you want to see before you die.

Anonymous said...

That was nice to read those interesting things about you! =) Thanks for sharing.

Katie B said...

Can I take lessons from your mom? Your daughter's dress is incredible. I have an English degree too :)

Lee said...

Thanks for sharing! I didn't even know you had any kids! : ) Your daughter's blessing dress is AMAZING. Good job, Mom! : )

Marnie said...

I think you have a likely more OCD in you than you like to admit. You really can't tease me anymore Mrs. I like things even! I'm glad you posted more about you. It's good to see that I really do know you! I'm honored to call you my sister.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails