Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Breeding Like Rabbits: Two Finished Baby Quilts

It seems like everyone I know is pregnant right now. Or just had a baby. It also feels like I've made more baby quilts this year than in the two previous years that I've been quilting.

First up is a quilt for my friend and neighbor, Amy. She is due to have a little girl in a week and a half. Some people who are expecting girls are in one of two campgrounds: "I love pink" or "I hate pink." She's in the "I love pink" camp (hot pink to be exact). I just so happened to have the perfect girly hot pink fabric waiting to be made into a simple patchwork baby quilt.

Baby Quilt for Amy

I received a fat quarter bundle of Joel Dewberry's Heirloom in the Sapphire colorway for Christmas last year. I love the colors, but tend to shy away from making overly girly quilts for myself/my home because I want all the quilts I make to be equally loved by my family. Since there are two boys in the house, I wasn't sure a quilt with this fabric would be loved as much. So, I was really happy to cut some of it up for this quilt. And, I still have plenty of fabric left over for some more girly projects, maybe a couple patchwork skirts for my girls.

As luck would have it, I happened to have a hot pink bed sheet on hand, which I used for the backing. (I know I'm lazy when it comes to making backings, but that's something I'm going to try to work on in 2013.) I used the sheet for the binding too, but added a few small pops of Heirloom. I straight-line quilted on both sides of each seam. It measures about 36 inches square.

Baby Quilt for Amy

Next up is a baby quilt for another friend who's having a boy mid-December. I made a quilt for her daughter when she was born as well. This time I used a couple charm packs of Riley Blake's Super Star. I forget sometimes that the amount of fabric in precuts varies by manufacturer, so I added a border to make this quilt a bit bigger. It measures about 34x39 inches.

Baby Quilt for Emily

I used this dusty blue solid (Kona, but I'm not sure what color) for the backing and binding, adding a few more pops of Super Star for fun. The quilting is organic straight-lines on both sides of each seam.

Baby Quilt for Emily

For those of you in the states, I hope you have a safe Thanksgiving weekend! I'm trying to decide if I want to brave the crowds and pick up some Pellon batting (major sale) at Joann's today.

7 comments:

Debbie said...

oh these are very sweet - good for you!

Deanna said...

I love that Dewberry line and they make a gorgeous quilt. I suppose that may put me in the 'I love pink' camp : )

bruinbr said...

So sweet and cute! If you don't want to brave the crowds at Joann, I saw you can buy it online and use their free shipping code. Happy thanksgiving!

Katie B said...

These are so sweet! I do love that pop of stripe in the binding.

Carolyn said...

So your title made me laugh, haha. I feel the same, everyone is having babies. Your two quilts are super cute. I especially love the pink one, I am a pink girl :)

Jenelle said...

These are great! I do love pink myself. :) I fall into the "colors are really just colors--for a boy or girl" camp.

Token Asian Friend said...

Great job, Brooke. If you bought the dusty blue at hobby lobby, then it is Kona Delft. I love the Joel Dewberry pink quilt :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails