Saturday, November 24, 2012

Finished Spring Carnival Kona Solids Pillow

At Sewing Summit last month, I started this English paper pieced (EPP) Spring Carnival pillow in Katy's EPP class using a charm pack of Kona cotton solids in the bright colorway. I finished it up just before Thanksgiving, and I must say that I love how it turned out.

English Paper Pieced Spring Carnival Pillow

I wanted to quilt this pillow pretty densely so I pulled out my walking foot and set to work quilting in organic straight lines. After 30 minutes or so (I didn't really time it, but it felt like forever), I had only quilted about a 2-3 inch wide section. Ugh. This was going to take a while. So, I set the pillow aside to work on other, more pressing projects. A few days later, I pulled it out again after freemotion quilting (FMQ) on an apron for my husband's aunt to give my mother-in-law and thought I'd try straight-line quilting with my freemotion foot. Huzzah! It was so fast and slick and awesome! I finished the rest of the pillow in the same time it took me to do those 2-3 inches with my walking foot. Definitely a new favorite FMQ technique that I'm sure to use over and over.


English Paper Pieced Spring Carnival Pillow

For the back, I made another hidden zipper enclosure. I love that the pattern of the back fabric sort of mimics the design on the front. I can't remember the name of this fabric off the top of my head, but I picked it up during Sewing Summit and thought that'd be fitting too. The green zipper flap is Patty Young's Running Stitch in green.

English Paper Pieced Spring Carnival Pillow Back

I've entered this pillow in Pink Castle Fabrics Fall for Solids contest over on Threadbias.

English Paper Pieced Spring Carnival Pillow

Linking up to Kati's At the End of the Hallway.

 
Oh, and I wanted to mention that I survived my first-ever Black Friday shopping experience! My sister has vowed to never go again (once was enough for her), but another sister happily offered to do it again with me next year. I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving and weekend!

13 comments:

Deanna said...

That pillow is beautiful. I have a charm pack hanging around and I think now I know what to do with it.

Sharon said...

your pillow is so great! do you have a pattern or link to a tutorial for making the pillow cover with zipper like yours?

Nana J said...

Very, very cute (and I LOVE my apron!).

Sarah said...

I love the pillow. It includes my three faves - bright, striking and geometric! You're very brave with the sales. Ours are after Christmas here in Australia and I've only ever gone once, and definitely did not line up for the opening crush!

Lindsay Conner said...

So bright and happy! Love

Your Creative Friends at the Calico House said...

Love the quilting on your pillow, it really adds a lot.

Your Creative Friends at the Calico House said...

Love the quilting on your pillow, it really adds a lot.

Barbie Mills said...

This is perfect, Brooke! I love how it turned out.

Kati said...

This turned out so great Brooke. I especially love how you quilted it. Great work!

Live a Colorful Life said...

I came over from Instagram and I thinks heart stopped beating for a couple seconds when I saw this. Amazing!!

Leila said...

So beautiful!! I love it!

Little Island Quilting said...

I particularly love the organic quilting on this cushion.

Jenny Wren said...

Congratulations on your win Brooke! Hop over to the pinkcastlefabric site!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails