Can I just start off by saying that I am so glad I finally finished this quilt?! I started this one two years ago. Normally, I'd say that's okay, but for this quilt it was way too long. A lot can happen in two years. The Middle has changed a lot; going from two to four (almost five) will do that. Thankfully, though, she still likes how her quilt turned out and I like that I could finally check it off my list.
When I first drafted this quilt design, I had just finished a baby quilt using Elizabeth Hartman's Mixtape pattern for a friend. I had also just made Cherie's bee block using the Fat Cat dresden ruler. When I asked The Middle her opinion about her quilt, she said she wanted flowers. She chose this stack of Rainy Days and Mondays fabric that I'd had for a while and I thought the dresdens would make cute quasi flowers/umbrella tops. I love using graph paper to plan out new quilt ideas - it takes me back to my days of hand-drafting floor plans in my interior design classes - so when I merged these two ideas together, this is what I came up with.
The dresdens are machine appliqued onto Kona white. The sashing is a quilter's solid medium gray that I picked up from Joann's. The binding is the pink/red/green raindrop print from the Rainy Days and Mondays line, and the backing is just a solid pink flat sheet that I got from Target. I quilted the entire quilt in meandering loops. The quilt is a twin size, measuring 72" x 90" before washing.