Monday, October 11, 2010

Purse Week Entry

A Lemon Squeezy Home hosted Purse Week last week. I wasn't going to enter anything, but Friday afternoon I had a rare moment of a still napping child while the older one was still at school. I had finished work for the day and wanted a project to work on. My friend asked me to make her Oh Fransson's Margaret Bag so I whipped up a test bag first (no reason to cut into my friend's fabric without making sure I knew what I was doing beforehand). I wonder if Elizabeth removed the link for her bag tutorial because I can't find it on her website anymore.


For the outer part of the bag, I used some brown stacks fabric from Jessica Jones that I had in my stash. For the lining, I used the canvas cotton curtains that I have used on pretty much every bag I've made this year (great way to repurpose). I didn't use all the layers that Elizabeth suggests because I'm lazy like that. The bag feels sturdy enough for me, but I'm sure the extra layers of interfacing and fleece interfacing would provide better structure and be more heavy duty.


I used a decorative leaf stitch when I topstitched around the mouth of the bag and around the handles. I really like how it turned out. I used the same stitch across the top of the inside pockets (but I won't show you those since I didn't pin one of them and I sewed it on crooked).


So my favorite part of this bag is actually the button.


Isn't it cute?! My sister made it out of polymer clay to mimic the design of the bag. Isn't she clever? She's been making and selling diaper bags lately. She started making her own buttons to match the fabric (color and design) and personalize the bags more.


2 comments:

Leslie said...

these fabrics are great. i love the stitching you did on the bag

Tanya said...

Kudos to you and your sister!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails