Way back when I first started quilting, I made this quilt top for my not quite three-year-old at the time. I was so proud of myself. I appliquéd those little rockets on there and thought I was the beezneez. But, as I learned more about quilting (like not using 1/2" seams, which is what I did here), I realized that this quilt top was crap. I tried to think of ways that I could salvage it, but everything I thought of required more work than I wanted to put into it. I'm also a cheapskate when it comes to most things and couldn't stand the thought of tossing it out. So, I decided to turn it into the backing and make a new quilt top.
I bought some Rocket Wave fabric by Michael Miller. I initially planned on just making a quilt top mostly out of that fabric without too much piecing. Then I saw these blocks by Amy of Diary of a Quilter and had to pick up these other rocket/space fabrics by David Walker to add to the quilt top. I was perusing a quilt magazine (sorry, I can't remember which one) and saw a quilt with this design (can't remember the name of it either) that I totally loved and thought it would be nice and boy-ish with these fabrics for my now three-and-a-half-year-old.
The colors aren't exactly the same as what I've already used in his room (like for his curtains), so I used the navy blue fabric as the sashing to tie the colors together a bit more.
I finished the quilting yesterday and need to bind it. I'll post more photos of the final product soon, along with matching pillows and pillowcases. For now, it's on hold so I can finish up the charity quilt. It's due a week from tomorrow and I still need to finish piecing the back (an update on that coming soon), baste it, quilt it, bind it, and wash it! Ack!