I haven't done a WIP Wednesday post for a while, but boy have I been busy this week! Documenting my progress will help me see where I'm at and how much I want to accomplish before going back to work in three weeks.
I made a goal to finish the quilt tops that I had lying around before starting any new quilts. While I didn't totally stick to that goal (you gotta be flexible, right?), I am this close to meeting that goal. This week I spent time quilting four of the five quilts that I basted a couple weeks ago. I tried to be more conscientious with the quilting. While I did an all-over loopy pattern on one, the others have straight lines, loops, flowers, swirls, snails, and a decorative stitch.
One of the downsides to not finding out the gender of our baby when I was pregnant was that I didn't want to do any sewing projects and make something gender neutral. I saw this tutorial for a sleep sack on Make It and Love It and decided to run to Joann's to get some fleece that was on sale.
This one is the prototype. I didn't need to add a seam allowances for the neck and arm holes, so it sits too high and the arm holes are not as loose as I wanted them to be.
This one turned out much better, although there are still some improvements to be made. This picture makes it look funny too, but it actually fits my daughter really well. Sewing with fleece isn't my forte, but it keeps my baby warm at night. I'm debating whether I want to try making another one or not.
I'm not sure if all Joann's have the same merchandise, but I noticed something new since the last time I was there. They have an aisle dedicated to making your own cloth diapers. I was SO HAPPY to see this aisle. I cloth diapered my two older kids and am bummed that I won't be able to cloth diaper my baby. This is kind of a lame excuse, but with working outside the home now, I have absolutely no time for diaper laundry. While I was perusing the aisle at Joann's, looking through the diaper-making books, I decided to grab some PUL (polyurethane laminate, which prevents leaks) to make some changing pads. I used PUL on one side and soft fleece on the other. One down, four more to go.
I spent time last night cutting the charms for round 2 of the Color Wheel Charm Swap. I also cut 10" squares for a swap for the Salt Lake Modern Quilt Guild meeting this month. My local quilt shop moved locations and had a grand opening this past weekend. Their sale fabric was 75% off and I was able to get a couple yards of this Neptune print by Tula Pink for about $3.50! Talk about a screamin' deal.
To-Do Before Going Back to Work
- Finish quilting Swirling Stars quilt
- Make bindings for the quilts in progress
- Finish the three changing pads I've cut out
- Make five pairs of PJ pants for my family for Christmas Eve
- Make gifts for the cousins whose names my kids drew for Christmas
I'm sure I have more to do since I have a tendency to start new projects all the time. But I have to admit that it feels so good getting all these quilt tops quilted and turned into finished quilts. It's this huge weight off my shoulders.