Thursday, January 31, 2013

Finished Circle of Circle of Circle of Flying Geese Quilt

April has been my month in the Sew Beautiful Bee. In 2011, I asked my bee mates to make me circle of flying geese blocks using yellow, green, blue, and gray fabrics. It was fun to see the blocks begin to show up in the group photo pool.

Sew Beautiful Bee Blocks for Me

A year later, in April 2012, I finally got my act together to piece the center double circle of flying geese block and then pieced all the blocks together.

Circle of Circle of Circle of Flying Geese

Then that quilt top sat for several more months until I finally pieced the back. By this time, Christmas was approaching and I knew I'd have to put it aside again. As the year came to a close, I decided that if I wanted to make a quick dent in my WIPs, I needed to be okay with the idea of sending some quilts out for quilting. (Before this past Christmas, the only longarm quilting I'd had done proved to be a bad experience. While the quilting looked nice, the lady charged me double what she quoted me PLUS she was really condescending about the design and fabric selection - not her style I guess, but she should have just kept her opinions to herself.)

Anyway, I talked with my good friend, Kayli, about doing the quilting for me and I think she did a great job! I really wanted there to be circles in the quilting since the whole design is circles upon circles. I really love the design she did and it wasn't something I had seen before.

Circle of Circle of Circle of Flying Geese Quilting


She also added two layers of batting, so not only is the quilt nice and heavy and warm, but the quilting really stands out. And with all that white space, it's even cooler!

Finished Circle of Circle of Circle of Flying Geese

There were two blocks comprised of three colors, so I put those on the back with three colors of Lizzy House's Pearl Bracelets. (See? More circle repetition!) I also included the quilt label that Lee made for everyone in the bee that has all of our names and locations on it.

Finished Circle of Circle of Circle of Flying Geese

I made a scrappy binding of yellow, green, blue, and gray prints. (I'm really loving scrappy bindings right now!)

Quilt Stats

Size: 70x70 before washing
Design: Circle of Flying Geese paper piecing template found here; Double Circle of Flying Geese paper piecing template designed by Lynne of Lily's Quilts; design arrangement by me
Quilting: Kayli Taylor

9 comments:

Jessica Kelly said...

This is so so awesome Brooke! Love the quilting and how to circles definitely mimic the whole design!

Elizabeth Dackson said...

Oh my goodness, I love how it turned out, Brooke, and Kayli's quilting is fabulous with this!! This quilt is so fantastic :)

Marci Warren-Elmer said...

Your quilt turned out great! I love it and I love the quilting. Nice job Kayli!

Kati said...

It looks so great!

Katie B said...

Love love love it. The quilting looks so great!

Lee said...

It's gorgeous!! I love it, and the quilting is fab. : )

Emily said...

This quilt is awesome! :) Nice work!

jeifner said...

Oh dear, sad long arm story. The circle wave bubble quilting is so good with all that negative space and the circles of geese are set off so well!

Anonymous said...

This is such a pretty quilt. I really love your color palette and the quilting is great!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails