After making the front of the pillow, I had to trim the edges to determine the size of the final pillow.
I took some scrap strips of fabric to make the back. I decided to do this one all of the same fabric, but I think it would look cute using different sized strips of a variety of fabrics for the envelope back.
After making the pillow cover, I started making the pillow form. (This was probably the backwards way to do it, but it worked fine for me.)
Before making the rainy day pillow last month, I probably never would have attempted to make my own pillow form. It just wouldn't have occurred to me. But then Kati showed some pillows she made at our Modern Quilt Guild meeting a couple months back and she totally opened my eyes to the possibilities of pillow forms.
I took a pillow from my son's room that I didn't care for, ripped off the fabric cover, and used the stuffing for my new pillow. Closing the pillow form after it's been stuffed is always a challenge for me because of the puffiness of the pillow, so I think next time I'll just close it by hand with a needle and thread.
I thought it would be fun to use piping around the pillow edge (I've never done that before and it would be fun to try), but I wanted the pillow to be a bit simpler to appeal to more of the sisters in my ward for a project they would want to attempt if they have little or no sewing experience.
I plan to make more covers too. It'll be fun to make one for each month of the year, or at least for different seasons or holidays.
Now, head on over to AmyLouWho's for more show and tells.
And make sure to check out Quilt Story's Fabric Tuesday.