Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Finished Pixelated Dragon Quilt

For the past few years, I've made a couple quilts for Christmas for my in-law family. Since the recipients know they're receiving quilts, I usually ask for color choices and general styles. Here's how the conversation with my brother-in-law went this year.

Me: What colors do you and your wife like?
BIL: She said we'd like something in black, red, and gold with dragon motifs.

He was joking at the time, but when I reminded him that I was making separate quilts for each of them, he said a bit hesitantly, "Well, I actually really would like a dragon quilt." So, that's what I set out to make for him.

I brainstormed for quite a long time about different possible ways of making a dragon quilt - paper piecing, applique, patchwork. I had almost settled on paper piecing, but wanted to enlarge all the patterns I found. I kept hemming and hawing because I wasn't fully committed. Then, I happened upon the Patchwork Pattern Maker from the Victoria and Albert Museum, which is this really great tool you can use to turn any photo into a quilt pattern. I searched for and tested several images of dragons until I found one that I liked and thought would translate best as a pixelated image.

Pixelated Dragon Quilt

I cut up three inch squares of varying prints in black, gray, green, red, orange, and yellow. For the background, I used whites and creams, whatever I had on hand. I then added some wide strips of fabric to the bottom of the quilt, representing a building or some other hard surface that the dragon is landing on or taking off from.

Pixelated Dragon Quilt

I quilted the body of the dragon in wavy lines and the wings have a scale motif quilted on them. The background I quilted in meandering loops.

Pixelated Dragon Quilt

I quilted each section of the "building" with a separate design. This one shows the angled meandering stipple and if you look closely at the yellow, you can see large ripples.

Pixelated Dragon Quilt

The back is comprised of various green fabric strips. I'm kind of a one-trick pony when it comes to quilt backs (if I piece the back at all), so I was glad to have a fairly easy, but not a flat sheet quilt back.

Pixelated Dragon Quilt

8 comments:

Unknown said...

All are very nice.Thanks for share
Web developer

Unknown said...

Please visit my site Netflix Helpline.

Linda said...

Very beautiful, and your header is gorgeous.

Clipping Solutions said...


What a magnificent tricks! Really enjoyed it. Thanks a lot for sharing.
clipping path service

Photo Retouching Services
Background Removal Service

Md Enamul Hoq said...

Useful and informative post you have shared . I also enjoyed this blog , thanks . Clipping Path | Remove White Background | Product Photo Editing

Lisa Resnick said...



This article very useful and very nice. thanks for sharing good knowledge
clipping path

onlinepill said...

Armodafinil is an enantiopure compound with eugeroic effect. It is extensively used to promote wakefulness in a person with excessive daytime sleepiness. It is a stimulant that is used to boost up the energy of a person and also as an adjunctive therapy for obstructive sleep apnea and other sleep disorder. Armodafinil is very helpful in treating Hypersomnia. Many a time Hypersomnia can become so severe that it can affect basic functioning of the person. It can even become fetal at times as such people can fall asleep anywhere and at any point of the time.

Armodafinil 150mg
armodafinil 150mg tablets
armodafinil 150 mg price
armodafinil 150 mg coupon
Armodafinil

Sumon Ahamed said...

Very informative post. I appreciated this well shared . Keep it up sharing .
Cut Out Photo | Remove White Background

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails