Wednesday, June 6, 2012

WIP Wednesday 6/6/2012

It's been a while since I've linked up to WIP Wednesday. I'm finding myself wanting to stray from my to-do list so this post will help serve as a reminder of the things I MUST get done before the end of June - and time is running out. Nothing like a good splash of cold water to wake you up in the morning, right? So, let's get to it.

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

My current #1 priority is to attach the binding to my EZ Dresden mini quilt for which I'll be posting a tutorial on Friday for the blog hop. I've got a teeny bit of hand-stitching to do still as well. I've already shown a couple sneak peeks, but here's another.

EZ Dresden Challenge

The next priority item on my plate right now is this melon patch quilt. My best friend is getting re-married at the end of the month and I really wanted to make her and her new hubby a quilt. I've got my work cut out for me to get this finished by the time we head out to Oregon in a few weeks! The quilt will be four blocks by four blocks. Each block measures 16 inches, I think (or is it 18?), so it'll be a nice sized throw quilt. The fabrics are Anna Maria Horner's Innocent Crush (Potpourri colorway) and Kona white.

Innocent Crush Melon Patch Quilt Beginnings

Innocent Crush Melon Patch Quilt Beginnings

I'm still considering this next block a WIP since I haven't made it to the post office yet (sorry, Angela!).

For May in the Sew Beautiful Bee, Angela asked for improv pineapple blocks using this tutorial. She sent out a bunch of Hawaiian prints for us to use as the center square with blues, greens, and oranges for the strips and corners. I'm so excited to see her quilt come together. It's going to be gorgeous!

Pineapple Block for Angela

This last block isn't a WIP for me, but I think it still is for Sam, and since I haven't blogged about it yet, I'm including it here. In our local guild bee, La Beeda Loca, Sam asked us to make paper-pieced single girl blocks. I've done a bit of paper piecing and I still find it a bit challenging. I'm not sure what it is about it though. If anyone has any tips they'd like to share, I welcome them!

Paper-Pieced Single Girl

That wraps up what I've been working on the last little while. I've made a couple simple dresses for my three-year-old that I haven't had the chance to photograph yet. I'll hopefully post about those one of these days. In the meantime, you should check out the other WIP Wednesday posts, the EZ Dresden blog hop posts (there have been some really great ones so far!), and then come back here on Friday for my EZ Dresden tutorial.

Happy Wednesday, everyone!

8 comments:

Jessica Kelly said...

Eeek! That orange peel quilt will be stunning, good luck! Great bee blocks :-)

Carolyn said...

I am really liking those orange peel quilt blocks. Can't wait to see it finished.

Katie B said...

Wow, your melon patch quilt is incredible! It looks great with Innocent Crush. :)

Lee said...

I am in loooove with that Melon Patch quilt! Gorgeous! Thanks for linking up to WIP Wednesday. : )

felicity said...

Oh that melon patch - gorgeous! Actually everything's gorgeous here.

Debbie said...

Looking forward to seeing your dresden!

Rachell said...

Paper piecing--I now love it, thanks to the book and method I found! "Quick Strip Paper Piecing" by Peggy Martin. She also has a Craftsy class for her method; I recommend it!
No cutting swatches, just strips. It's super helpful with multiple units of a block, because it's very assembly line-like. Quick and easy and no headaches! She also shows you how to measure your foundations so you know how wide to cut your strips, so you can apply her method to blocks everywhere. I do!

Richard Healey said...

Is the melon patch blocks the quilt that was shown last night at the SLMQG meeting last night? Those blocks look cool. I have not yet tried to sew a curve been afraid of them. Are they hard to do?

http://richardquilts.blogspot.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails