Friday, February 21, 2014

Finished Horsey HST Baby Quilt

My coworker's wife had a baby in December. Our department was planning on going in on a minkee blanket for his baby girl, but then another coworker said, "I have this friend who makes quilts..." (wink, Brooke, wink), so I ended up making a baby quilt.

I bought this adorable Ann Kelle horse (or is it a donkey?) print for my youngest because she loves horses, but when I started looking through my stash, I thought this print would look so cute in a baby quilt, especially because I could pull in non-girl colors and it'd work out great.

I enlarged the block that I made for Angela in the Sew Beautiful Bee back in 2011. I then added a white border and grabbed a bunch of pieces of leftover binding from other projects.

Horse Baby Quilt

I backed it in minkee so it'd be cuddly soft for baby Maxine. This was the first time I've used minkee in a quilt back and it was SO MUCH EASIER than I thought it'd be.

Horse Baby Quilt

I quilted organic straight lines on each side of the squares with my free-motion foot. I prefer using this foot because the walking foot takes longer and I like the flawed straight line better with the free-motion foot than the flawed straight line I get with my walking foot. =)

The quilt measures about 38" square. And, this is the first quilt that I've made start to finish in a day--about 4 hours. (This includes selecting the fabric, calculating the measurements to enlarge the block, cutting the fabric, piecing the individual blocks, piecing the top, basting the quilt, quilting the quilt, and binding the quilt.)

2 comments:

Katie B said...

Love this, Brooke. Great baby gift idea!

Anonymous said...

I love the quilt top, but I have to say, what really impresses me is how you were able to line up that minkee so straight on the back. Wow!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails