Thursday, January 10, 2013

Finished Rectangle Squared Quilt for My Sister

A long time ago, say two years or so, I started a quilt for one of my sisters. She picked the design then I bought the fabric, made a few blocks, and gave her those blocks for her birthday. Unfortunately, I've learned that without deadlines sometimes I don't finish what I've started unless I have a little bit of...um...encouragement.

A couple months before Christmas, my sister started talking more and more about the quilt on her bed (I think she was dropping hints that she wanted me to finish the quilt I'd started for her). Then my mom, not so discreetly, told me that my sister wanted a new quilt for her bed. So, I kicked it in high gear and finished the quilt. And, it ended up being my favorite Christmas quilt finish!

I used the rectangle squared block tutorial by Ashley over at Film in the Fridge.

Marnie's Rectangle Squared Quilt

I used a variety of gray and black print fabrics with Kona red and Kona white for the blocks and sashing. For the border and most of the backing, I used a damask print from some Halloween fabric line that was on sale at my LQS last year. I used the rest of the blocks and actually pieced a back (gasp!) and I kind of love how the whole thing turned out.

DSC_3553

My friend, Barbie, quilted this water ripple design for me and I think she did such a great job!

DSC_3560

The finished quilt measures just under 70" x 90".

9 comments:

Jessica Kelly said...

Oh this quilt is so great! Lucky sister!! You are just rocking away at that to do list :-)

Katie B said...

This looks awesome! You're doing a great job with those WIPs!

Cille said...

It's beautiful. I hope your sister loved it :)

Michele T said...

Beautiful quilt!! Your sister is very lucky!! I hope you don't mind if I 'pin' your quilt for future reference!

Jackie's Stitches said...

I love, love, love this! Just the perfect amount of red, your fabric selections are awesome and the back is the perfect finishing touch!

Jenny Wren said...

You have excelled again! This is really beautiful!

A.J. Dub. (Amy) said...

Beautiful quilt! I love the colors. Thanks for sharing the block tute link!

QuiltNut Creations said...

This quilt is fabulous!!

Shannon said...

This quilt is fantastic. I find it amazing that it looks even better since you showed me the top at Thanksgiving. I love how good the solid dark color stands out in this. I might have to make this quilt too. I have had the pattern bookmarked since you posted about it last year.

Thanks for all of the great photos and inspirations. I love checking in on your blog, and the wonderful links you have to others too.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails