Sunday, January 27, 2013

Finished Madrona Road Challenge Quilt

As many of you know, I've been on a mission this year to finish all the WIPs I started last year (and...ahem...the year before) before moving on to anything new. When I tallied everything up, there were 12 projects in the works. That's too many for me. In fact, I was feeling a bit paralyzed last year because I knew there were all sorts of things waiting in the wings.

So.

I've made good progress on those 12 items, even though I haven't stuck 100% to my goal of not starting anything new. One of those new projects I started (but am not really considering new only because I knew it was coming down the pipeline) was this Madrona Road Challenge quilt.

It seems like all the guilds participating in this challenge received the same blue colorway of Violet Craft's Madrona Road line. I used this as a good opportunity to buy some more prints, especially in the pink colorway. The requirements were that only Madrona Road fabrics and solid fabrics could be used in each project. And since we're a quilt guild, they recommended the project be something quilted. The additional requirement that the Salt Lake guild made is that we need to use triangles in the design somehow.

After debating for a while on what I should do, I finally settled on Anna Maria Horner's Spinning Stars pattern. I saw the pattern last year and printed a template so I could make it eventually. I was lucky to have it on hand when I decided to use this design one late Tuesday night.

Once I got started, I was a bit obsessive about this quilt and finished it in about a week and a half.

Finished Madrona Road Challenge Quilt

I made 12 blocks, alternating each block between the two colorways.

For the back, I used three prints from the pink colorway to piece a simple back. I bound the quilt in an orange Michael Miller Cotton Couture.

Finished Madrona Road Challenge Quilt

The quilt measured 54x72 before washing. (I didn't bother to measure it afterward.)
I quilted it in meandering double loops.

I can't decide if I want to keep this one or give it to one of my nieces, but it was fun to combine two things (the challenge and the pattern) into one quilt.

5 comments:

Anne said...

Oh my goodness, that is STUNNING. I love that you brought in some of the pink/tangerine colorway, it really adds depth to this quilt. Love love love it!

Katie B said...

Beautiful, Brooke! I love the back too.

Sarah said...

It looks great, brilliant work! I've never tried anything like that, even after 10 years of quilting. The back looks gorgeous too.

Heather said...

That is a beautiful quilt, when you are inspired, you have to just roll with it! I need to evaluate my current WIP as well, and quit starting so many new ones haha!

Jenelle said...

This is lovely! It's probably my favorite quilt that I've seen made with Madrona Road (such a great collection!).

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails