Saturday, December 31, 2011

Poseidon's Garden Fence

Let me just start off by saying that I love, love, love this quilt!

Back before Thanksgiving, my dad got hit with a nasty virus that made him extremely sick. After a week of becoming severely dehydrated, he decided to go to the hospital. While there, they found gallstones. After being in the hospital for nearly a week, he was discharged and ended up in need of a hospital bed.

My plan to make my parents a king-sized quilt changed into needing to make two twin-sized quilts instead. I thought this was good though because then my dad could have a quilt in any colors he wanted - and I wouldn't have to quilt a beastly-sized king. He told me he'd love something blue. I'd been wanting to make another solids quilt since I made this, so I ordered a Poseidon fat quarter pack and set to work.

I altered Cindy's Garden Fence quilt pattern by omitting the outer white border/sashing on each block. I really like the look of the multi-colored blue plus signs created by the lack of additional fabric between the blocks.

I needed the quilt to be a titch larger so I added a thin, maybe 1.5 inch border in Kona stone, which I think frames the quilt quite nicely.

Garden Fence Quilt

For the back, I used a twin-sized sheet since that's my M.O. for backings these days. I love the color of it.

Garden Fence Quilt Back

The binding on this quilt is definitely my most favorite by far - ever! I can't emphasize enough how much I love the binding. I used the leftover fat quarters, so each different color strip is only 18-21 inches long. I think it gives the binding a variegated look around the quilt.

Garden Fence Quilt - Scrappy Binding LOVE!

It was so great to see my dad's reaction to it on Christmas morning.

Garden Fence Quilt - Scrappy Binding LOVE!

For my mom's quilt, she wanted totally different fabrics, so I'm going to do another variation of the Garden Fence quilt to tie the two together. I've started cutting the fabric for hers and hope to finish it soon.

17 comments:

Katie B said...

This is gorgeous! I love your take on the garden fence, and I know your dad will really enjoy it.

Cille said...

Beautiful quilt... I love your version of it.

Sara said...

I think your dad will really enjoy his new quilt after going through such a horrible sickness. I hope he is doing much better now.

Happy New Year!

Debbie said...

What a beautiful quilt!! I love your version too.

Tanya said...

That is just a fine looking quilt, and I like the binding as well. Do you know what I like the best? That the person holding the quilt is standing on a car. Awesome!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this quilt and the binding is fabulous!

The Thompsons said...

Beautiful! I love the colors of this quilt.

Melissa said...

This is lovely!!! I love the scrappy binding :)

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

Gorgeous, I love that pattern it goes together so quickly too. I have a King size one I pieced in a few days, but then I got sidetracked before I got the whole top sewn together. It is on my to do list! Mine is turquoise and brown.

Diane said...

Beautiful quilt... love the colors and I love the binding! Looking forward to seeing the version for your mom.

Tanya said...

Loving the solid colours and design!

Shannon said...

It's gorgeous!

QuiltNut Creations said...

absolutely stunning! hope your dad is doing better soon.

leigh said...

Maybe I need to put this on my list for 2012. It's an awesome quilt! And we need to do our Japanese + and X quilt too!

felicity said...

I adore that Kona FQ collection - i used it for my Supernova. This is a gorgeous, gorgeous finish, Brooke! I hope your dad is feeling better...

Indianna said...

Love this version - this pattern has such clean lines...it is on my list.

john smith said...

it's like some of the picking and choosing work has been done already. Boresi Fencing Suppliers

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails