Friday, July 13, 2012

Finished Oregon Beach Quilt

Back in June when I should have been working solely on my melon patch quilt (since the deadline was quickly approaching), I got distracted by all the pictures I was coming across of Lucy's Crab Shack on Flickr and Instagram.

This is what became of that distraction. I decided I needed a quilt to take with us to the beach.

Oregon Beach Quilt

Sometimes a quick and easy piecing job works wonders when you're sewing curves or involved in another more complex piecing project.

To make the quilt, I took a layer cake (42 10" squares), cut 3" squares of some Essex Linen in natural, cut the squares on the diagonal, and pieced them to opposite corners of each layer cake square. I wasn't precise at all, just eyeballing the placement of triangles. I also opted to limit them to the two opposite corners rather than all of them because I wanted an x-look rather than a snowball-look.

For the back, I used a blue plaid from the Play Ball line from Riley Blake. I think it goes well with the Lucy's Crab Shack fabrics and it was on sale (score!).

Oregon Beach Quilt

I used Patty Young's Running Stitch in Creamsicle and the plaid Play Ball print for the binding. I love her Running Stitch prints. They work so well as binding.

The quilt measures about 57x67 inches - the perfect size to warm up under while watching the fireworks at the beach! This was such a fun, quick finish. It reminded me that while I like taking the time to put a lot of work into a quilt, the quick and easy quilts can be satisfying too.

4 comments:

Angela Nash said...

Love it!! Super easy and looks amazing. Adding to my Looooonnng list of must.make.quilts.

Sharon said...

Don't you just love sweetwater designs? Their fabrics are soooo fun.

A.J. Dub. (Amy) said...

So cute! I have a layer cake waiting for a project like this. Thanks for sharing!

thepalmierifamily said...

That looks great Brooke! How fun to have two new quilts for your trip! It's nice to have an "easy quilt" to put on the back burner list for the day when you need an easy project. Thanks for the idea.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails