Sunday, January 15, 2012

My Supernova Quilt Top

A few of us in the Salt Lake Modern Quilt Guild came together to form a local quilt bee, La Beeda Loca. August was my month and I asked the girls to make Supernova blocks for me using 1001 Peeps and Lee's awesome quilt-along tutorial.

I opted to make the quilt top out of 12 blocks instead of 9, so I made two more blocks. One of the girls pieced the outer units the wrong way, and while she offered to redo them for me, I loved how the block looked so I made another block that way (see the middle blocks on the second and third rows).

My Supernova Quilt Top

I got some of the tower fabric and wanted to try mitered corners on the border. It was my first time, so there is definitely room for improvement, but I was pleased with how the border turned out.

My Supernova - Border with mitered corners

Hawthorne Threads had several prints from the 1001 Peeps line on sale last month so I ordered a bunch to use for the backing. I'll be binding it with Peeps Illuminate in Light Blue. Can't wait to finish it off, but I think my mom would really like me to work on her bed quilt first.

15 comments:

Barb said...

Love this quilt!!!

Debbie said...

What a cool Supernova! Brilliant to have bee members help you out! ;-)

AnneMarie said...

Looks great Brooke! I just finished my Supernova too... I love how you mitered that border. Cool!

Kati said...

It turned out great! I love how you did the border. That's just perfect. Can't wait to see it all finished.

felicity said...

How utterly fabulous! SUCH a wonderful fabric choice and those mitered corners are awesome! I pieced my entire Supernova the "wrong" way so I know how that goes. :-/

Katie B said...

Brooke! This quilt is incredible! I love that border.

Kelly said...

This is awesome!!!! I have a FQ bundle of this line and I may just have to copy this idea! I thought about doing a Kaleidoscope quilt, but I love this one even more!

Lee said...

Yay Brooke! It's amazing!! That border is incredible!

Elizabeth Dackson said...

Wow, this is amazing, Brooke!! I adore the way you did the border, the mitre is SO cool! Can't wait to see how you finish it up!

mtnquiltr said...

Looks beautiful, I love your fabric choices!

The Thompsons said...

So beautiful! I love the color combinations and that border is adorable.

leigh said...

turned out great! and how were all the sizes? close enough? I love the border :)

Jennifer said...

It's so cool! The variation in the blocks is nice too. Can't wait to see how you quilt it!

Jennifer :)

Diane said...

Super cute! Love the use of the border print!

Jacey said...

Beautiful! I'm such a Lizzy House fan, and this is just beautiful. The border choice is excellent!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails